The Lucky Leprechauns

The Student News Site of St. Brendan School

The Lucky Leprechauns

The Lucky Leprechauns

The 2024 Eclipse
The 2024 Eclipse
May 1, 2024
Fantasy Draft Pick
April 30, 2024
6 & 7th Field Trip
6 & 7th Field Trip
April 30, 2024

The 2024 Eclipse

On April 8 2024 the eclipse happened and it is really special. The sun is really big and the earth is really small. But the moon is smaller but the earth is really far away so the sun and the moon looks the same. The cool thing is when the moon is circling around the earth it will cover the sun and it will look like a ring. But for this natural phenomenon to happen the earth has to be perfect. See if the earth was tilted a little bit it would not work. Also the moon tilts too. The crazy thing is that America won’t see this in another 20 years. So the 8th graders won’t see it until they’re 34 years old. For every country we won’t see a good eclipse for another 100 years. The solar eclipse is also the most mathematical equation in human history and you might also see articles about the old Chinese predicting it. But they’re all wrong. But until 1715 when astronomer Edmond Halley used giant tables of future celestial bodies to hand calculate it. And now even Nasa can only predict it for the next 1000 years. Also if you have a pet they might act weird. Horses might shake their heads, Dogs might panic, and birds might start not flying. There is also when a solar eclipse happens anything with a wight surface outside might have squiggly lines on it but it rarely happens. We’re also lucky because if you don’t know, the moon is slowly drifting away from us so in hundreds of thousands of years we won’t ever have an eclipse ever. It will be too small for us.    

Source: https://www.pbs.org/video/why-the-2024-solar-eclipse-is-such-a-big-deal-g8rint/